Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dreaming in Japanese

Brett describes this dream on Rainbowhill Language Lab, "A place for learning about Japanese language and culture."
I was walking along the bank of a beautiful river, 500 years ago in feudal Japan. The water was clear but smoke from a nearby battle filled the air. A whistling sound came through the air and with a thud an ornate katana [刀|かたな] hit the opposite bank and slid into the water.


Swords don't swim.

As the sword slipped beneath the surface of the swiftly flowing river it began to talk to me in a lilting western dailect of Japanese. The sword implored me to spring to its rescue.

I dived in without hesitation to its cries of  助けてください (Help me!), and reached it just as it fell to the gravel at the bottom of the river. Holding it aloft as I rose to the surface it continued to talk to me in an excited fashion. I felt as though I was embracing an old freind.

Brett Fyfield (this is from eduFire) is a CELTA qualified English teacher with over 6 years experience teaching in Japan and Australia. He is currently working at University as a international student adviser by day, and a Japanese Teacher by night.

No comments:

Post a Comment